knitting by my hands and from my heart

The yarn stash just keeps on growing! I'm a wife, a mom, a sister, a daughter, and a friend who works in Corporate America, lives in the Boston, MA area and is always looking for more time to knit.

Knits4fun at hotmail dot com

    Snap up a button! berry_knitty_button.jpg berry_knitty_button_a.jpg berry_knitty_button_b.jpg
Cool Webrings
    Yarn Tomato Arcylics Anonymous

Previous Posts
Links Shopping Blogs I read I ♥:
    Eloise

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Lily's afghan . . . . shhhhh!!!!

Pattern: Baby Sampler Afghan handout from a knitting class.
Finished Size: Nine 7" squares. throw-size or cradle size.
Yarn: Loops & Threads Impeccable; (128 g {268 yards}): #01008 Aran, about 5 balls.
Needles: Clover Bamboo US 8 straights.
Comments:
I started knitting this afghan in August for my cousin who is expecting a baby girl in December. Well, Lily was born Sunday night, December 27th and I finished this today! The afghan was going amazingly quickly in the beginning. Square after square after square. Then there were problems discovered in each square's pattern (this was from a handout from a knitting class I took a while ago at Saftler's. I think whoever wrote the pattern was drinking at the time--seriously. The two cable squares are substitutes of my own as well as the hearts in the middle. The smocking square is something I found online as the smocking pattern that was given was indiscernable. It became very frustrating very quickly.

I also ditched the leaf and garter border with a simple picked up garter edging. It puckers the afghan slightly but it evens it out better and LESS FINISHING!!!!




some leaf and garters knitted then ditched:



my substituted squares:

hearts:


mock cables:


cables and checks:


smocking:


Squares from pattern handout that actually worked but still had mistakes in them!

YO pattern, flower buds:


Blackberries:



Checkerboard or basketweave:


Increase, decrease ribs bordered with 4 garter stitches on ea. side:


YO "flower" pattern, Tulip lace:


I do think that the baby is going to enjoy running her fingers through the different textures in this afghan!

Labels:


link | posted by BerryKnitty at 10:52 AM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela