knitting by my hands and from my heart

The yarn stash just keeps on growing! I'm a wife, a mom, a sister, a daughter, and a friend who works in Corporate America, lives in the Boston, MA area and is always looking for more time to knit.

Knits4fun at hotmail dot com

    Snap up a button! berry_knitty_button.jpg berry_knitty_button_a.jpg berry_knitty_button_b.jpg
Cool Webrings
    Yarn Tomato Arcylics Anonymous

Previous Posts
Links Shopping Blogs I read I ♥:
    Eloise

Friday, August 17, 2007

Burning up.

Not much knitting going on but plenty of burning--

dvd's that is.

After learning way more than I should about the dvd format wars, with weary, tired eyes, I write you this.

Why can't pimply-faced teens that work in electronic stores understand the economic landscape some people face (of course they don't). Yes, my dvd player is four years old; yes, my hard-drive video recorder is one year old; yes, my computer is three years old. Am I supposed to upgrade this equipment every six months?! I want to scream at them; I want to pound my fists on the service counter "Do you not understand that I have two kids, work full-time (which makes even finding time to sit down to burn dvd's a miraculous event), have childcare to pay for blah blah blah????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But I don't (because that would be pointless). Instead, behind my annoyance I smile politely, nod my head and leave the store with yet another piece of hardware or software purchased either needlessly or way beyond my budget or way beyond my technological-self or all of the above. I also leave knowing that my purchases have become dinosaurs the second I've left the parking lot.

After explaining this 'format war' to confused store clerks, I realize that maybe I know more than the average-joe about this (even if it's needlessly because, after all, I'm the only one that owns a four-year-old dvd player)--I mean if I purchased my dvd player 2 mos after I did--this whole thing wouldn't even affect me -- equipment today recognizes both formats (NOTE: CHECK THAT IT DOES IF YOU LEARN ANYTHING FROM ME HERE TODAY). Turns out my player only plays DVD-R; my computer only burns to DVD+R . . . . get what I mean?

My husband comes home the other night to find me on the floor with the computer's cpu unscrewed, panels on the floor, wires everywhere. After ruining my manicure, I've installed a new drive (that writes to both formats).

I got to bed by 1 a.m. the last couple of nights after burning, playing, and going through multiple panic attacks when the only footage I have of my babies churns away on my hard drive--all 800 gazillion gigabytes worth. I know these humongous mpeg files cannot remain on my hard drive--this creates a sickening urgency to the project.

Well, video is on dvd's--cheap ones--Staples brand--and they play in my &*!@ player. And because some of the playback skips (completely crushing the high I was on after successfully installing hardware into my computer and being able to tech-speak on DVD formats), I'm going to re-burn to a nicer brand maybe slow the burn speed (ya, I've done way too much researching on this)--here's to that working. If not, I'll accept the low-quality video. Low-quality video that cost way too much.

I'll leave you with a couple of sunny pictures. A monarch butterfly, found in our backyard as an egg on a milkweed leaf (like the one pictured). Raised in a jar in our house. We let the butterfly go back on August 4. B loved it!





Have a wonderful weekend!

Labels: ,


link | posted by BerryKnitty at 10:43 AM |


1 Comments:

Blogger Joanne Rendell commented at 3:18 PM~  

the butterfly is so beautiful. it shows how its too bad we have to get caught up in all the techno-craziness of the world we live (I know all about it) and we have so little time to see what the untechno parts of our world have to offer!

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela